What animals do you treat?

The Animal Health Centre welcomes small pets: dogs; cats; rabbits; hamsters & guinea pigs. For other types of animals please call first on 01803 313400 so we can advise.

How much will it cost?

This depends very much on what treatment is required. The best thing is to bring your animal in for an initial consultation where we can make a diagnosis and treatment plan which will include cost estimates. An initial consultation costs £32.17 and lasts as long as we need to make a proper diagnosis and treatment plan (if necessary).

Can I pay by credit card when I visit you?

Yes we accept all major credit cards.

How do I register with you?

Give us a call on 01803 313400 or bring your pet in to see us. If your pet is already registered with another vet you will need to provide their details to us so we can contact them for your animal’s medical history.

Do you dispense prescriptions?

If, after examining your pet, we need to prescribe a treatment then we can dispense from the practice. Generally, we do not dispense treatments without first seeing the animal.

I am on holiday with my pet, will you still see them?

We welcome holidaymakers who have a poorly pet and we will give them the same level of care. We will need to contact your usual vet for medical history and to keep them informed so please ensure you can provide their details to us.

Do you have space to park when I come to the Animal Health Centre?

There is plenty of on-street parking spaces outside the practice. We do not have a customer car park.

Do you operate an emergency service?

Yes we provide 24-hour emergency cover for registered clients. Please see our Emergency page.

Do you do home visits?

For registered clients we may make a home visit in exceptional circumstances but generally we ask that you bring your pet into the practice where we have the appropriate equipment. Please call us on 01803 313400 to discuss your situation.

Do you microchip dogs?

Yes and we charge £22.80 for this (reduced to £18.76 if done in conjunction with another procedure requiring general anaesthetic for your pet).

The Blue Cross animal charity has an informative page on their website about dog microchipping.

Other types of animal may also be microchipped to provide the same level of identification and traceability. Please give us a call on 01803 313400.

What do I need to do if I’m taking my pet abroad?

You will need to get specific advice for the country to which you are travelling.

If you intend to bring your pet back into the UK then there is good advice on the UK Government website.

Our head vet Marni Miller is licensed to issue pet passports.

What is the best food for my pet?

We recommend Specific pet foods because their range is wide enough to provide high quality food to pets whatever their dietary requirements. It’s what head vet Marni Miller feeds to her own dog Betty.

Should I take out pet insurance?

We would definitely recommend you take out a good pet insurance policy. We are authorised representatives for Petplan.

I’ve just got a pet for the first time. Can I visit for advice on how to look after it?

We would love to see your new pet so bring it in to us for an initial consultation and we can register it, check it over and offer advice on keeping it happy and healthy.

At what age does my new pet get its vaccinations?

Puppies and kittens will need their first vaccination at 8 weeks old. Further treatment is required 3-5 weeks later.

I’ve found an injured / abandoned animal, what should I do?

First, try to ascertain if the animal is injured or just stray.

If it is not injured then check out the RSPCA website for some good advice, or contact your local council dog warden if it is a dog.

If the animal is clearly injured then please call us on 01803 313400 to see if we are able to help.